Thursday 3 April 2008

British Summer Time

The clocks have changed, suddenly there are evenings with daylight, now if only the sun would come out and stay out it might actually seem like summer is coming...

Sunday was a bit of a washout, with very little wind and about 5 minutes of foiling time. Marginal stuff is really frustrating but its the conditions where kings are made in the Moth fleet. If you can get flying and no one else can it counts for a lot.

The first Wednesday afternoon sail of the year was pretty good. I got out to the club at about 4 after having a mad day trying to get as many jobs done and curing as possible so I could leave happy that things were progressing in my absence... I've tweaked my daggerboard ever so slightly in the more lift direction and things are much sweeter - I can make it through tacks and get flying again pretty quickly but the elusive foiling tack is some way off yet. I feel like the boat can do it, so I just need to get out more.
Martin was out in the Axemistress too and is really getting the hang of things - nearly nailing the gibes...

I stayed on the water to try and do the race but the wind was doing pretty crazy stuff. There was low lying cloud all afternoon which suddenly descended making mark spotting pretty tricky and to top it off, the wind died at the end of the second lap. Luckily I saw it coming and was already heading in the direction of shore but it still took me ages to get in...

As the club results never seem to get done I nipped by the race box to get the first lap times to do some beermat calcs....

Moth first lap 10.31 Corrected to 750 seconds (using a PY of 800)
RS800 First Lap 11.53 Corrected to 867 seconds
RS400 first lap 14.51 Corrected to 935 seconds
N12 first lap 17.15 Corrected to 946 seconds

I didnt have time to work it out properly, but that would have put my handicap in the region of 700 to equal the RS800 on time. I picked these boats as they are known quantities to me, with both the RS800 and RS400 sailors being former/current champions in the RS400 fleet and I used to race against the 12 sailor when I was still racing them... None of this accounts for the fact that I still had a rubbish start and sailed too far down the run as I couldn't find the buoy! Must sail more...

Grafham is this weekend, and its looking like another fun forecast, but at least there should be a good turnout for the first GP of the year... Martin and I are both going up early Saturday morning - not sure about Alan, no one has seen him!

No comments:

Post a Comment