Monday 5 July 2010

Weekend sailing

We very nearly had all 7 of us out on Saturday but a bit of boatwork got in the way. I was still trying to get all my lines in order/trimmed to length and in amongst that and tea drinking/chatting with the various Bristol Moth crew whom I'd not seen most of in a very long time it my boatwork took far longer than it ever should.
So, on Saturday Simon, Leo, Martin and Darren all got out on the water and all showing good signs of improvement. Darren's Prowler is now rebehaving after diagnosing a control system lockup which was stopping his flap going down more than halfway. Simon was back out after a long period off the water due to work commitments and while his boat is currently for sale I think he's reconsidering it. Martin was back out practicing with his KA sail as the North has gone back to be repaired again. Leo however was smoking around the lake - recording a 25 knots top speed in his 5 year old boat! He's also now starting to nail his gibes as the old girl gets more and more tuned up.

Sunday saw Tom, Martin and myself joined out on the water by DJ from Port Talbot. We got out for about three hours in a gusty southerly topping out at around 18 knots. We did our own windward leeward course and all waited around the bottom before restarting and going around again. It was awesome to be back on the water and the Turtle is showing good early promise with a new personal best for me of 24.1 knots. Everything feels stiff and is working as it should and just have to remind myself quite how all this sailing lark works.

Not sure if I'll fit any more sailing in between now and the start of the Nationals on Thursday. Needless to say I'm really looking forward to it and hope to see the biggest Moth nationals fleet for a long time.

2 comments:

  1. Mike:

    The Chinese have found you! Now there is no hiding. I suggest comment moderation...

    Joe

    ReplyDelete
  2. Check out your 28 May and 2 July posts. Maybe it's the "Ninja" reference, but you seem to have attracted their attention!

    ReplyDelete