Monday 2 March 2009

Sunday sailing

After a mad saturday combination of working on the new boat and packing up Tom Whicher's v.4 with its new owner en-route to Maastricht I finally got out on the water on Sunday.
Martin turned up late but my brother and I got his boat rigged and ready for him while waiting for our start to come around. It was a pretty light race with a leg or two of non-foiling but it was a good chance to get out and enjoy the bright sunshine and nice weather after a fair while of snow/rain/cold.
The second race was a bit full on - the wind had picked up to over 20 knots at times and the top mark and second mark were right up in the corner of the lake in the really shifty gusty bit, leading to a few capsizes and a very hairy top reach.
Managed to lap most of the fleet in both races but until I get the times from the races for my PY adjustment session wont really know how well I was going...

There was a good article on the Daily Sail this week about the Mach2 which I'm looking forward to seeing at the Dinghy Show next weekend. I was a bit dissapointed to hear however that we are expecting a reduced turnout at Saundersfoot - its news to me! I don't see why we have to go to some crappy sailing academy to get out best Nationals turnouts and as soon as we go to a nice actual VENUE (rather than place to go sailing, there is a difference...) the UK Moth fleet baulks.
I have already booked my accomodation and I'm looking forward to it. Lets just hope the southern shandy drinkers at HISC decide to come too....

2 comments:

  1. Hey Mike,

    Can you get me an e-mail adress of the Axiom buyer from Maastricht? We're starting up the Dutch class again (www.moth.nl). I'd like to contact the new buyer.
    First dutch moth regatta for ages on 10th may, at Hellevoetsluis! (not far from the Chunnel too...)

    Cheers,

    Koos

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Koos,

    Not a problem, but I dont want to post it here. Can you email me and I will send you his details.

    Cheers

    Mike

    ReplyDelete