Sunday 30 January 2011

Steve Nicholson Race

5 Moths rocked up at Northampton SC for the 2011 Steve Nicholson Race. There wasn't much wind when we turned up, but thankfully we weren't starting until after midday which gave a bit of time for the forecast 10 mph to kick in.

We were sailing with the asymmetric fleet which gave us a busy startline to play with and plenty of moving obstacles around the course to do battle with. After some vaguely synchronized port tack starting with Tom, I took and early lead and didn't really look back with the shifty lake sailing playing to my advantage and the Ninja Turtle doing the rest. After 7 laps I'd nearly lapped Tom in second with Martin a few minutes behind him posting a 23 knot best in not much breeze and very cold water...

The format of the event means we get to sit around and watch the other fleet race before going back out for a second race. With the weather being pretty cold it's quite hard to drag yourself back out again and it takes about 20 minutes back on the water just to get vaguely warm again! This became a bit of my downfall with two appalling tacks on the first lap, once with the tiller extension up the back of my buoyancy aid and another saw me kicking out my elbow while leaning on the wingbar post tack dumping me unceremoniously out of the boat! Anyway, I managed to get back in the groove and catch up with Tom and after having a good battle with him for a few laps sneaked away as the breeze died towards the end with Martin coming in third again.

Was very good fun as usual despite the ice on the ground and massive windchill! Results are up HERE and I will post links to photos when they materialise. I had the first chance to use my new ProStart and it's definitely idiot proof - Hopefully when I get back out at BCYC I can use it to sort out my starting issues!

No comments:

Post a Comment