Sunday 28 February 2010

Sunday sailing

Got out for a brief sail today and was joined by Martin and Robin Wood who was over from Wales for a bit of company. There wasn't much wind but I managed the first race pretty well, despite lowriding for most of the first lap. The wind started dying off over lunch so we all headed in. Martin however decided not to de-rig and went back out an hour later in a nice 10-15 knot breeze - Typical!
Martin has a new North V8 and CST mast to mess around with which are a huge leap on from the X8 rig he's been using up till now. He's looking pretty tidy now and is close to nailing some foiling tacks but still has a huge ventilation problem in the cold water. Robin has a new Ninja rudder fitted to the back of his X8 which seems to have cured it - He's now foiling much higher with no sign of the dreaded vent and the smaller rudder T doesn't seem to have affected his take off which was my main concern with the experiment. Will be interesting to see how he gets on with it in a bit more breeze.

Ninja Tuna is now back home for a bit of a tidy up before going to the dinghy show next weekend so no sailing for me then - come by the Moth stand and say hi as I will be there both days...

PS - Good luck to everyone out in Dubai - I shall be watching enviously yet again and if anyone suggests a worlds within 6 months of the next one at the AGM, please shoot them.

4 comments:

  1. Amazing how the country divides in weather terms. No sailing for us at HISC on Sunday - rain and old boots. Yuk! Spent the day disassembling my Mach2 between showers. Hope the show is good - I have sold an RS800 which I am delivering that weekend so no show/sailing for me.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I know, very strange - I was especially annoyed as I was expecting at least 15 knots to try out this new sail of mine. I've sailed with it 6 times now and still have yet to see more than 10 knots breeze with it...

    ReplyDelete
  3. very interesting about the rudder.... I am suffering a lot at the moment from the ventillation too.... does the normal ninja rudder fit straight onto the BR? (would one of the QM ninjas's fit...?!)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Depends which BR gantry is on the boat. I have to mess around with the rudder gudgeon to get it to fit the box gantry so you might not find Doug's will fit...

    ReplyDelete