Tuesday 23 December 2008

Sunday sailing

Last sunday was my last sail of the year but it turned out to be a good one! The wind was in a vaguely normal direction and while a bit puffy allowed some great sailing.

Former Mothie Alex Knight was visiting in his foiling 600 and I had hoped for a good showdown to see how they square up to the Moth but unfortunately he missed the start of the first race and just blasted around. I couldn't blame him though, as the course was so complicated I had to keep sailing near to the club on the first lap to figure out which mark was next...

The second race was much simpler, but Alex was led astray by a Contender sailing the wrong course and the puffy conditions were not really suiting the 600 - while it was as quick as a Moth in a straight line it really suffers in the manuevers. Its early days though as he hasn't had the boat too long. I think for the near future the handicap for it won't be as quick as a Moth, but can see us racing off the same yardstick as more people get their handling down...

Good ol' BCYC is still racing me off 840 though through a bloody minded will to not start shifting PY's about unless the RYA says otherwise, so I am currently second in the winter series despite only doing three races so far while first place has done 6 now...

Did a bit of mini trimaran foiling after the races too and made the good move of wearing my wetsuit which helped retrieval as it is still over canvassed and doesnt like the big gusts!

Next race for me is the Bloody Mary on the 10th of Jan. Last year had 8 boats - lets see if we can beat that and give the organisers a real headache...

No comments:

Post a Comment