Monday 28 January 2008

Steve Nicholson race

A day wasted really - After enjoying the hospitality of Chateaux Whicher on Friday night, I got up early and headed to Pitsford.
When I got there I found it was a bit windy - 20+ knots going through with some nasty patches. I launched and couldn't nail the bearaway - the boat just didn't want to fly! After a bit of fiddling around, I found the tube that takes the rod in the daggerboard was no longer attached to the top of the board and was flexing like crazy inside meaning any wand input was dissapearing. I think this was the result of a bit too much fiddling around and removing material when I was playing with my experimental flap so I'm not sure how long it had been that way...

Either way, it looked like carnage out there - Jason Belben was the only other mothy to show up and seemed to have a good handle on things, taking the first race by some margin from Sam P in the 600FF despite falling over a few times. I think he spent more time dodging the other boats than sailing the course though! I haven't seen the results yet to see if Jase took it on handicap though...

Anyway - got back home and took my board internals out and replaced them - its tons better now. Its a lesson learned, the hard way - but if you dont mess around with these things you don't learn - at least I was messing with my own gear and not a customers!

No comments:

Post a Comment